Saturday, 22 July 2006

The Quiet Man does an excellent Irish Stew


My brother Anthony came to visit me today. And together we went out for lunch at our local Irish pub, the Quiet Man, where Anthony downed a Kilkenny accompanied by Irish stew (what else would an O'Neil consume in an Irish pub?) and I, saddened by the removal of the Quiet Man's famously delicious beef and burgundy pie from their menu, had to be content with porterhouse steak and mashed potatoes downed by a glass of unchilled water. (Yes, I'm afraid I am a teetotaller.)

Anthony and I were supposed to talk about our upcoming travel plans but got sidetracked... or rather, we didn't get sidetracked because we couldn't get past the usual topic of conversation which always accompanies meals in the O'Neil family.

"Do you remember the time Dad..."

"What about when Greg...."

"And that time, back in 1978..."
But the real highlight of the day was discovering Google Earth! After lunch we hit the PC and performed satellite searches on all the places I've ever lived... we even found Skatvedtveien in Sætre, Norway and Woodstock Avenue in Golders Green, London! Yes - we could zoom in with the satellite and get a birds eye view of the houses where I used to live ALL OVER THE WORLD! It was truly amazing! Big brother is now a global event... so next time you decide to sunbathe naked in your garden, just remember that someone may be "Google earthing" your address!

No comments: